This Mediterranean salad has plenty of carbs, sugars, nutrients and proteins, is full of flavour and easy to make before setting out.
Something so simple travels and packs well and is good for cold-packed lunches on kayak expeditions to replace lost energy from a hard morning’s paddling.
This everyday recipe has been pimped over the years to an expeditioner’s needs – the pistachio serving has been doubled for its energy content, the egg serving is increased for its protein and, with spring onion in the recipe, the chives have been banned for their canny lack in contributory value – parsley, dulse or ramsons garlic have made good substitutes!
The following recipe feeds 4.
– 4 medium potatoes
– 2 red peppers
– 3 spring onion, diced
– ½ cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
– ½ cup black olives, chopped
– ¼ cup capers
– ½ cup pistachios
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– ½ cup olive oil
– 1 tsp. dried thyme
– 4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Fresh parsley / ramsons garlic / dulse
– 50 gm grated parmesan
– 6 boiled eggs, quartered
– ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
- Scrub potatoes + cube
- Boil potatoes until al dente, drain
- Dressing: mix olive oil, dried thyme, vinegar + garlic
- Mix onion, tomatoes, olives, capers + pistachios + toss with dressing
- Add salt, pepper to taste
- Place egg quarters on each serving
- Sprinkle parmesan + parsley to serve. Finish with a sprinkle of Smoked paprika
— Eat, carry on paddling